Missing man’s family lawyer Woodlain Zachee speaks up

Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story contained misinformation about the family attorney’s proceedings with the City of San Diego. The article has been corrected.

SAN DIEGO — The San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office is working to identify bodies that washed ashore Wednesday morning at Sunset Cliffs.

The discovery came as the family of a teenager, 18-year-old Woodlain Zachee, searched for answers after he drifted off in Mission Beach on June 14.

“They want certainty, they want verifiable evidence that this missing person is actually Woodlain Zachee. So far we are still waiting for that evidence,” said Evan Walker, Zachee’s family attorney.

Walker explains that it’s been a tough month for them since Zachee was swept overboard during the graduation celebrations. As of Wednesday, he had not been found.

“The family is doing the best they can to deal with this tragedy, and they don’t want to be carried up and down with facts and rumors and rumours,” Walker said.

At around 5:30 a.m., a fisherman who was looking for bait in a tide pool at Sunset Cliffs spotted a corpse. The San Diego Fire Department found the body, with police confirming it was male.

“We’re speculating at this point that the tide came in last night around 10 p.m. probably when bodies were washed ashore and with the water receding, bodies were wedged between some boulders and some rocks,” San Diego Police Department Captain Laura McLean said.

Walker said the family got a call this morning from the San Diego coast guard with some questions, but said he couldn’t reveal any specifics. Lawyers say they have an investigation with the City of San Diego spearheading them into what happened to Zachee and how to prevent such a tragedy.

“The family’s concern right now is that the city and everyone working on this is doing everything they can to help find Woodlain Zachee. The family wants him home. The family wanted some kind of closure. It’s been a month now and the family hasn’t felt it yet,” Walker said.

The county medical examiner said it could take up to 24 hours for identification.

Leave a Comment