- Runtime errors are a common Windows operating system problem that occurs while a program is running.
- Extensions, plug-ins, and even other applications can cause runtime errors in a particular program.
- Excel makes no exception, with many users reporting Excel Runtime Error 1004 on Windows.
- Try your hand at these quick fixes and avoid losing your data due to this anomaly.
XInstall by clicking the download file
Excel runtime error 1004 usually appears when you are working with a damaged document. You will also get this error if you open a VBA Excel file when Excel has a conflict with other programs.
Excel Runtime Error 1004 can appear due to a variety of other underlying issues. The most common error messages include:
- VB: Runtime Error 1004: Application-defined or object-defined error
- Excel VBA Runtime Error 1004 Failed to select scope class method
- Runtime error 1004 object method scope_global visible basic failure
- Excel Macro Runtime Error 1004
- Runtime Error 1004 Method failed to open object workbooks
- Runtime Error 1004: Object worksheet sentinel method failed
- Save As VBA Runtime Error 1004: Application definition or object definition error
If you receive any of these errors, you can fix the error using the solutions here.
What is Runtime Error 1004 in Excel?
The runtime error is for applications that integrate Microsoft Visual Basic for Application (also known as VBA) to run repetitive tasks.
All Microsoft Office applications use this Windows programming, but the most common problems appear in Excel, especially Excel 2007.
Several users reported problems when creating macros. A macro is a feature in Excel that records keystrokes and clicks to help you automate repetitive tasks.
Often times, this task conflicts with VBA which leads to error 1004. Another common cause is a corrupt Excel application or a corrupt XLS file.
Other possible causes that have been linked to this error include a number of legend entries exceeding the available space, and a file conflict between Excel and other applications.
How do I fix runtime error 1004 in Excel?
The good news is that this error has been around for a while and there are many proven methods that will help you fix it.
1. Uninstall Microsoft Works to fix Runtime Error 1004
- Click on control + ALT + From Combine and click Task Manager.
- Exit all currently open programs.
- After that, press Windows key + s to open the launch tool.
- Here, enter appwiz.cpl and click yes button.
- From the list of programs installed on your computer, search for Microsoft Works. Right click on it and press uninstall.
2. Delete GWXL97.XLA to fix Runtime Error 1004
- start opening File Explorer on your computer. You can do this by pressing windows a key + e.
- Next, click on the address bar, type the following path, and press Enters:
- Here, open a file XLStart Folder.
- Finally, find a file GWXL97.XLA file and delete it.
3. How to fix Runtime Error 1004 by creating a new template
A great and easy way to fix Runtime Error 1004 is to use a new Excel template.
You need to move the template from the problematic Excel file to the new file, and the runtime error will be gone.
While we’re at it, you might want to learn more about Excel and its best uses.
If so, take a closer look at our Excel page for endless informational recommendations and bug fixes.
1. Run Microsoft Excel on your computer.
2. Next, create a new Microsoft Excel workbook by pressing control + n plural or selection blank workbook from the first screen.
3. After making the workbook, delete all but one of the sheets in the workbook.
4. Format the remaining sheet.
5. then go to File > Save As.
6. S.Save the file with the extension Excel template (xltx or xlt).
7. When the document is saved successfully, you can insert the template with the help of this code:
- Replace the file name with the actual name of the document.
Knowing that there are many causes for run-time error 1004 in Excel, only one solution may work.
With the help of this guide, you can now fix Microsoft Excel Runtime Error 1004 and recover file data.
If you need more help, we have a dedicated runtime troubleshooting center full of articles like the one below.
Frequently Asked Questions
start a conversation